How to Alter Styles?

Is there a missing feature, a feature not working as you might expect or can't find the answer in Sense's Help? Then raise the issue here and not only get answers but it might well influence future Sense developments to improve its writing workflow support.
Forum rules
Use this forum for any specific issues on using Sense.
When problem reporting, create a new topic if the issue hasn't been previously reported: Please specify the Sense Version and any circumstances to replicate the problem where possible.

How to Alter Styles?

Postby Dave Ewins » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:29 pm

In Tools|Options|Editor Styles, both the add and remove buttons are greyed out. If I click on Default Document and then Set Styles every option is preset and the "use default document" box is checked and greyed out, so I can't uncheck it.

I can not figure out how to personalize default font name, size, header color, etc. I can change the font for a single document only with the drop down menu, but even then it sets the same font for everything, or says it does. Though the headers are clearly larger and bold, it shows in the menu bar that they are the same, and even if I highlight specific text and then change the font in the drop down menu on the tool bar it changes the font for the entire document
Dave Ewins
Site Admin

Re: How to Alter Styles?

Postby Dave Ewins » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:34 pm

A primary topic on Document Styling may be found within the Sense Help (About Document Styling) accessed via Help| Menu | Sense Help Contents.

The Add and Remove buttons are a feature not currently supported - the intention of this feature was to be able to configure different "Default Document Styles". The workaround approach is to create one or more document templates with different style settings on which new documents may be based.

Not all styling features are available at individual line level: In particular Font and Font Size settings displayed on the toolbar are document level settings only. However, Section font, font size and colour may be set separately via the Section tab within the Document Style Dialog or individual line Section Style dialog.

The "Use Document Style" setting is greyed and checked by design except for individual line styles: this is because Styling is configured at three different levels:

1. The settings accessed via Tools|Options|Editor Styles define the Editor style inherited by new documents -- Set Styles for the Default Document Editor Style selection. Changing styles at this level do not retrospectively change the style for already created documents.
2. Once a document is opened, the document styling is then managed via the top "document" node of the Content Browser: open the context menu and select Style: again, the "Use Document Style" box checked and greyed. This is because the settings are the default styles for the currently opened document.
3. To change styles for individual lines, either select an underlying node within the document tree of the Content Browser or line within the Edit Workspace and open the Style via the Context menu (either pane). The "Use Document Style" will be ungreyed now -- unchecking this box and options available for localized line styling become enabled.

Various toolbar options are also available for faster styling --- Use Document Style button is available to switch line styling between document and localised styling, such as justification.

In summary, not all style options are available at all levels.
Dave Ewins
Site Admin

Return to The Sense Chat and Help Zone